Calling all Business Leaders and Potential Mentors!
As our heroes submit their Dream Applications, the Troops to Business team will be evaluating those applications and choosing those that we feel we can have a positive impact on and best hope of assisting the veteran. This will require that we reach out to the business community to assemble mentoring teams for those chosen.
If you would like to be on a mentoring team, please use our support ticketing system at www.TroopsToBusiness.com/support/ to send us your information, any background you’d like to offer, and a little about how you think you could support a mentoring team. Being a mentor for a veteran business startup can be one of the most rewarding things you do outside of raising your family. And we would like you to be a part of that.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is a veteran start-up business mentor? A business mentor is someone who is willing to share their lifetime of knowledge and experience with an American Hero who has decided that they need and want to start a business of their own. A mentor is someone who shares this knowledge and experience willingly and without feelings of disappointment if the veteran chooses not to take the advice. Your experience is worth more than money can buy.
- What is the business mentor time requirement? This will vary according to the project and the amount of time you commit to during the planning stages. The team does ask that if you make a commitment of 2 hours a week, that you show up for that 2 hours. If you make a commitment of 2 hours a month, we ask you fulfill that commitment. This is not about how much time you give, but the quality and consistency of the time.
- Do I have to be a business leader to be a mentor? Absolutely not. If you have been a homemaker for many years and can bring the organizational, financial, and tenacity skills of that life’s work to the table, then that is highly valuable. Mentors come in all forms. They are talent oriented, skill oriented, spiritual, mental health, and even cheerleaders. Let us know what you want to bring to the mentoring table for our veterans!
- Do I have to be a military veteran to be a veteran business mentor? No. We welcome military and civilian community members who want to make a positive impact on the business startup efforts of our military veterans. Each of us bring a different set of experiences, backgrounds, and personalities to the table. All are valuable when applied smartly, honestly, and with tenacity.
- Are their age restrictions for being a mentor? Yes. You must be at least 18 years of age or older.
- Does it cost me anything to be a mentor? No.
- What if I get ill or other life issues requires that I stop out or quit all together? We understand this. We are a community of human beings with families and personal needs. We ask that you take that into consideration when thinking of being a mentor for a veteran but understand when life get’s in the way.
- Do I have to live in the United States of America to be a mentor? This question will be addressed on a case by case basis, depending on the mentoring needs for a particular project. Many times, mentoring can easily take place via Skype, Phone, Email, and other forms other than in person. But we cannot give a blanket “yes” until we examine the particular case.
- I’m disabled, can I be a mentor? Yes.
- I’m not much for computers, can I do my mentoring by phone? In many cases, that is manageable. The selection of you for a mentor will include issues like technology comfort, etc. and we will use that information to make a best-match for the veteran and the business start-up project.
Business & Organization Participation
If you are a business or organization that would like to participate on a business-wide level with several employees, then Troops to Business can work with you to develop a service plan to do that. Often businesses and organizations desire to serve our military veterans programatically so that the efforts of the individual business or organization members also reflects on the business commitment. We love it!
Contact us with a support ticket and let’s talk about how we can put together a veteran mentoring resourcing program at your location. This will show your organization or business commitment to veterans, enrich your members or employees with the benefits of serving as mentors, and allow for an inter-business sharing of the successes and challenges. You may find that this is one of the best management training supplimental programs you’ll ever have!